F3 Stories Podcast: Interview with Dr Katy Stevenson
Welcome to the pilot episode of the F3 Stories Podcast by Messly. The goal of this podcast is to share the stories of doctors who've had really exciting and different F3 years, to give you the inspiration and confidence to make the most of your own.
In this debut episode we speak to Dr Katy Stevenson, who is currently pursuing her passion for medical eduction in her F3 year in Plymouth.
👉 Listen Here
The Messly F3 Stories Podcast is also available on:
👉 About Katy
From a family of teachers, Katy is passionate about medical education and widening access to medicine. She's built her F3 year around that passion, securing roles as a Lecturer in Physician Associate Studies, and Clinical Small Group Facilitator, at the University of Plymouth.
She combines that with locum work in the ED at University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust. She's also the Communications Lead for Trainees for the Association for the Study of Medical Education (TASME).
👉 Topics Discussed
In this episode, Katy shares the story of how she went about planning her year, how she secured those roles (despite some set-backs!), and shares her tips for how to get into medical education.
This episode also includes:
- Her interest in widening access
- Why she intercalated in a Masters in Medical Education
- Her challenges in Foundation Training
- Her reasons for taking an F3 year
- How she built a network of contacts at the University of Plymouth
- How she was rejected for the first lecturer post she applied for
- Tips for applying for medical education roles, even if you don’t meet all of the job criteria
- What her teaching actually involves
- What a normal week looks like for her, and how she balances teaching with locum work
- Her plans for F4 and beyond
👉 Useful Links
- Trainees in the Association for the Study of Medical Education (TASME)
- The Academy of Medical Educators
- You can read Katy’s University of Plymouth staff bio here
- You can also follow Katy on Twitter here
This article is part of a wider series, supporting doctors like yourself with a comprehensive set of guides to ensure your F3 year is a success. These guides cover everything from initial planning, options for moving abroad, help with finding work, and tips for making the most of the experience. Click here to visit our F3 Resource Hub to explore the full list of guides and articles.
Find locum work on your terms
Connect with trusted hospitals and agencies to quickly find locum work. Create your free profile and receive relevant offers to your phone.